Companion Volunteer - General Wards
Our friendly teams of Companion Volunteers work with patients throughout Auckland Hospital. They provide non-clinical support to patients on eight general wards including General Medicine, Orthopaedics, Urology and Respiratory wards.
Companion volunteers engage with patients one-on-one and in group settings through conversation and a wide variety of activities, such as playing games, arts and crafts and music. Every day is different and you will meet a huge variety of people, from different cultures and backgrounds and you will have the chance to make a significant contribution to the patient's stay and well-being.
Volunteer training, ongoing support and opportunities for learning are provided.
Tasks and responsibilities
- visit patients to chat, listen and provide non-clinical support
- accompany patients to ward lounge, cafe' on site or for a walk
- donate books or magazine to patients
- bring/refill coffee, tea or water
- play games/music (if desired)
See link for more information. https://www.adhb.health.nz/about-us/volunteering-at-auckland-dhb/
We are seeking people with the following specific qualities to become Companion Volunteers:
- be a good listener and communicator, be good-natured and non-judgmental
- big-hearted, compassionate and want to spend meaningful time with patients
- have a great eye for details to identify patients' needs
- have a confident and creative talent to keep patients engaged and entertained.
We ask for a commitment of a minimum of one shift per week for one year. The recruitment process includes a criminal history check, an immunity blood check, two references checks, COVID vaccinations and booster and a Vulnerable Child Act (VCA) check.
Mon-Fri 10.30am-1.30pm and 4.00pm-7.00pm
The first step is to express your interest by applying directly to the organisation. You will then be able to find out more about the role and how to proceed.
Apply for this role:
If you experience any problems you can use our application form