Empowering Communities - A conversation with Auckland Council
Recently nearly 30 community sector leaders in Auckland met to discuss the changes taking place in the Auckland Council’s relationships with our sector, and our communities. We looked at the Empowering Communities Approach [ECA] document. We discussed the structural changes being proposed within the Community Development department of Council. We discussed the devolution of funding to Local Boards. There were a lot of unknowns!
The practical action we agreed on was to seek a public conversation with Auckland Council.
Representatives from Auckland Council:
Graham Bodman, General Manager, Community Development, Arts and Culture
Cissy Rock, Senior Project Leader, Strategic Community Initiatives, Community Development and Safety
Some of the points for discussion will include:
- Does Council hear our concerns as a sector?
- Can we work with Council on these issues, and what does Council want of us as a sector?
- We want to explore a process model of working together
- We need more information about the dollars involved
- How will the ECA [Empowered Communities Approach] deal with regional issues?
- How will communities prepare for engagement in ECA?
- Can we see the tests/ evidence of the practical design/ prototypes?
- What is the status of the ECA document?
Come along and join the conversation ...
Venue: moved to the Positive Ageing Centre opposite Volunteering Auckland [Takapuna], 1 The Strand, Takapuna, Level 2, up spiral stairs to the right. [Beside Takapuna Library, above Plunket]
Disability access available via lift outside Library, Ground floor or from Basement car park under Library.
Parking: Pay and Display - alongside and by the beach or opposite Shore City Shopping Mall